Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sweetness

Today's been a day filled with sweetness. It's Connor's two year birthday, and to celebrate, Eric and I wanted to do something really special.

So in the morning, as soon as breakfast was over and William was in bed for his first nap (it seems wrong to take a nap at 7:30 am, but hey, he's already been up for hours).

And we played OUTSIDE. For a long time. A very long time. And I didn't have to yell once because we have a fence, and it works. Children stay in. Children play. Mom gets to run around with the children without one single little body running into the street. We jumped on the trampoline with all our soft balls forever and all three of us were dying of laughter. I couldn't tell who had more fun. The kids dug in my garden where the peas used to be. We put the hose on and watered everything in sight, including ourselves. It was a blast.

Then, Eric lovingly took a half day, we got a babysitter for Caelan and William (thanks ever so much, Becky) and we went to town. Literally.

We stopped off at Connor's favorite eatery, the Dairy Keen, which has a real train track with a miniature train that runs at all times. He was in HEAVEN! And they had FRIES. Did I mention he was in heaven?

Then we took a happy and already exhausted little boy to the Heber Valley Railroad where we walked around and saw real life TRAINS! Did I mention he was excited? Did I mention he said the words choo-choo about 50,000,000,000,000 times? That his eyes were wide and his grin stretched from Maine to Seattle? Then we went and bought him some trains to play with on his train track (that we set up every day and gets taken apart almost as fast). Then we went on a little drive. Our plan was to go to Wasatch Mountain Stake Park to the duck pond and playground, another favorite of all favorites for Connor. Alas, it was pouring so we had to cut the fun short a bit. We went and got Connor's 10 helium balloons...and his eyes got enormous and his hands kept reaching for them and he said balloon about 50,000,000,000,000 times.

But by far my favorite part of the day was when I finished getting Connor ready for bed and I was carrying him upstairs in my arms and he grabbed me as hard as he could around the neck and kissed me all the way up the stairs and into his room. For those of you who know Connor, this is a very big deal. It meant so much to me that I even shed a few happy tears. As I laid him down in bed, and brushed his hair off his forehead as I do every night, I thought about just how grateful I am for him. Even thinking about it makes me a bit teary. I sure love him.

And the cherry on top was how as Eric was carrying Caelan up the stairs to put him to bed, he asked to sing a song for mommy. They came back down and Caelan sang, "I am a child of God," then a rousing version of "Goodnight, Sweetheart" (Eric and Caelan have a tradition of singing this to me when heading to bed), and then he sang the last one. It was a song he made up on the spot and it went something like this:

I'm going on a rocketship
Do you know where you're going?
I'm going on a rocketship
and you're coming with me.
I'm going on a rocketship
tomorrow.

It's days and moments like these that I just can't imagine life being any better than what I've got right here. Sure love those boys of mine.

3 comments:

Megan B ♥ said...

Happy birthday, Connor! Sounds like a wonderful stupendous day! And YAY YAY YAY for the fence!!! We'll have to come back and let my kids run around in it :)

rach said...

So sweet--Its moments such as those that make being a mom worth all the hard work:) You're my hero-

Gracie Lane said...

Amazing how a little thing like a fence can make such a difference in your life...that sounds like a wonderful, marvelous day.