So a friend of ours came over tonight and on the spur of the moment, invited us to go out to the reservoir with him and his family on their boat. Now, Caelan, Connor, and Will are all sick. The first night Caelan actually slept most of the night was last night. Connor and Will are making regular nightly visits.
I was watering the garden in the back when the invitation was issued. I could tell something was up when Eric called my name, walked over looking at the ground the entire time, and waited until he got really close to say anything. That's usually the sign of, "I really want to do this thing that I know you are not going to be happy about, but I'm going to ask anyway and feel really bad if you say no."
He asked. I was torn. Risk health. Not so keen on that when we are already sick all the time. But on the other hand, we don't have our own boat. If we are always sick then we are going to have to live life and experience some things even when we are sick. Fun and exciting adventures rarely come at convenient times. And no time will ever be convenient for everyone in my family for a very long time.
I was really torn. It took me awhile but I hesitantly said yes. Eric said we'd be back, at the latest, by 9 pm (only 1 1/2 hours past the latest bed time). Yeah right. It was late when we started driving, let alone getting out on the boat. The sun was behind clouds so it was cold.
I had the foresight to put the kids in their sleepers, bring their coats, etc. even though it was 88 degrees today, and boy did we need them. I was already beyond paranoid about having an almost 3 year old, a 21 month old, and a 7 month old on board with four other little children and two other adults (one of whom had to be driving of course). Oh, and the dog.
And if I hadn't been paranoid before, the water was rough and we were bouncing all over the place. I was clinging for my life with one hand on the boat and clinging desperately with the other to the baby while shouting every few minutes to Eric (who was sitting directly behind me) "ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE THE BOYS TIGHT?"
It was one of those times that when we got into a channel, and it was calm, I was in heaven (and Caelan kept asking if he could go faster again, please...none of this wimpy slow riding for him). And it was beautiful. And the company was great, except for the part where Jeremy kept telling us about all the dead people he'd had to find with search and rescue. He helpfully told us where each body had been. Lovely. Evidently it's not a place you want to explore unless you are very familiar with the area. After I made it clear that I could not condone any talk of people drowning, we moved on to the next terror.
Caelan asked to drive and Jeremy let him. And Caelan suddenly pulled the throttle and we went from big speed to dead in the water. And then as if that wasn't enough, he jerked it back the other way and the boat almost jumped out the water. I rarely scream at my children the first time of an infraction, but that didn't stop me this time. All I said was his name, but I think I left my heart back on the water. It was trying hard enough to get out of my chest. I felt badly, because he was having fun honking the horn and moving the steering wheel. I hate that I but the kibosh on a livering experience.
But you know, I only have three babies. And they are all still so little. And I struggle with letting them be in any kind of situation where they might get hurt. But balance we must and I tried to rein in my fears and just let the kids enjoy the wind and the waves. Be still.
So I was pretty happy and glad that we had gone and adventured a little. And very glad to hit terra firm with all children and husband intact.
I thought back over the boys' reactions: Caelan had a perma grin on his face, Connor was trying to escape and jump in the 45 degree water every chance he got, and Will was so cute with his life vest pushing his cheeks into this perma grimace. That's amazing. You don't get the chance to do that every day. You have to sometimes just seize the moment.
And then we got into the car and realized we were almost out of gas. Meaning, the gas light came on as we were pulling out of the reservoir...23 miles from the nearest city--single lane unlit canyon roads all the way back.
But made it we did and sleep we will and remember we must because this was a FHE night to go down in the books.
Monday, June 23, 2008
Home at Last
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







1 comment:
All I can say is...wow. :)
Post a Comment