This was a wonderful mothers' day. I had to give a talk and give at least part of that talk holding one of my children as a couple held our baby and Eric struggled with the other in the hall. But that's a story for another day.
I wanted to write a few of the reasons I'm grateful for my mother.
1. One of my favorite memories is snuggling up at night in a flannel nightgown that my mother had made for me and having her read a book to me. Reading has been such an important part of my life, and I have her to thank for how voraciously we all read.
2. Mom was always the best nurse...and she often had occasion to be one. She was always so patient when we were really sick and so loving and giving.
3. She is just a beautiful lady. Growing up, I remember often thinking how beautiful her hair was (and still is!) and how beautiful her big eyes are. I have this picture of her hugging me when I was in bed that I adore and seeing it takes me back to the memory of how I felt that night--so treasured.
4. My mother is very giving--she stayed with us for two months when I was having early labor symptoms and needed to rest but had two very active and young little boys. Her room was a little cramped and our house is small, but she never complained and always served. I can't thank her enough for her willingness to do that for me and my family.
5. She is a fun grandma to have around. Referring back to number 4, Caelan and Connor just adored her. In fact, I think Connor still misses my mom. She's the only one who could really get him to sit still long enough to read an entire book and be mesmerized.
6. She's adventuresome. She's packed up and moved at least 10 times in her married life and has been to many places around the country and the world on my dad's business outings. While her health isn't the best, she has really done a lot and experienced a lot.
7. She's not afraid to get down and play. I remember often when my brothers would wrestle, that my mother would suddenly get this sly sneaky grin on her face and suddenly she'd be in the thick of things, giving the boys wedgies and tickling them. Of course, they were laughing so hard that they couldn't defend themselves and that in and of itself was priceless.
8. She's very creative and knows lots of things that she tried to pass on to me that I kick myself for not learning when I had the chance. She toll paints, quilts, knits, gardens, decorates, and always has a beautiful looking home. She can can salsa like a pro (although I must warn you to duck if she ever tries to can raspberry jam again. I don't think the house in Carmel will ever be the same.) My sister inherited a lot of her craftiness, but I struggle along pretending it comes naturally but fooling no one.
9. She's very interested in politics. This is sometimes a subject that we can't easily discuss as we of course will have different opinions at times and we are both--ummm--opinionated. But I really respect how she tries to stay involved and interested and politically aware.
10. She's tough. She went through 5 births without any pain medication and anyone that can do that, is one tough cookie in my books.
Mom, I love you. Happy Mothers' Day and thanks for bringing me into the world and not sending me back once you realized that I was like dad in female form. :) We appreciate and love you.
“Motherhood thus becomes a holy calling, a sacred dedication for carrying out the Lord’s plans, a consecration of devotion to the uprearing and fostering, the nurturing in body, mind, and spirit, of those who kept their first estate and who come to this earth for their second estate ‘to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them.’ (Abr. 3:25) To lead them to keep their second estate is the work of motherhood, and ‘they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.’ [Abr. 3:26] “Motherhood is near to divinity. It is the highest, holiest service to be assumed by mankind. It places her who honors its holy calling and service next to the angels.”
Sunday, May 11, 2008
My mom
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)







2 comments:
I'm guessing your mom is all those things and more, because YOU have so many amazing qualities. I'm sure that watching you raise your family brings her great joy.
also, if your cooking skills are lacking, then mine are NON existant. . .
p.s. can't imagine giving a talk while holding a squirming kid
Amen and amen...She's beautiful!
Post a Comment