So we've bitten the bullet and are starting to put in our yard. I say we, as I contribute via complicated suggestions that I'm sure are not in the end very helpful, but Eric is really doing all of the hard labor as I watch and comment from our family room windows above.
We have turned our yard into a temporary war zone, and we're hoping we'll come out ok. We forgot to order a load of gravel so if you have any on hand, please send it our way. We're desperate. How ironic that we are going to spend A LOT of time digging rocks out of our yard only to pay someone to come put more in.
Here are some before pictures:


Here's Jeremy (a friend, neighbor, and co-worker) who is doing all the heavy lifting (pun intended) while Eric does what he does best--administrate. I accidentally rented the biggest backhoe in the West (only the best for our backyard) and so we got it done much quicker than expected. Jeremy had a narrow call and missed smashing our sliding glass door by mere inches. You should have seen the look on Eric's and Jeremy's faces. Priceless.
We experimented with taking off our concrete slab. We suggested that Jeremy use the backhoe and lift under it to see if it would snap off of the house nicely--and it did. Paver patio, here we come!

I have to download the end results for today, so check back later to see the progress. We've gotten a lot accomplished and will hopefully be done within the next few weeks.
Here's how Caelan has enjoyed the manliness:

Here's how Connor reacted:







